Future Continuous Tense in English Grammar:
The Future Continuous is also known as Future Progressive Tense. It talks about an action going on and will be in progress at a specific time in the future.
Future Continuous Tense Structure and Formula: (Rules)
Here, we use the following time expressions as signal words.
at 4 o’clock tomorrow, this time next week etc.,
Usage of the Future Continuous Tense in English Grammar:
It is used:
To represent an action going on at some point of time in the future.
- What will you be doing this time tomorrow?
- This time tomorrow I shall be playing chess.
- We shall be waiting for you at 9 a.m. tomorrow.
- When I go home my children will be reading.
To express future events as part of routine activities but are not planned or intentional.
- My brother will be meeting me next week.
- We shall be going to the movies next Sunday.
- I shall be attending the classes tomorrow.
Future Continuous Vs. Present Continuous
We use both the Present Continuous and Future Continuous Tenses for future events. But they have a different meaning to convey.
Present Continuous: It is used for arranged and planned future events.
Future Continuous: It is for a routine activity, not arranged or planned.
Observe the following examples of sentences.
- We are visiting our friend next month in Chennai. (Here everything is planned)
- The chairman will be visiting our school tomorrow. (It is not a planned or arranged visit. It is a casual or routine visit)